The 2023 DIO Implant LA Open concluded with a thrilling final round that saw some of the best golfers in the world battle for the title at the Riviera Country Club.
Here are some of the highlights from the final day of action
- The leader after three rounds, Jon Rahm, started the day with a two-shot lead over Dustin Johnson and Rory McIlroy. However, he faced some early pressure from both of them, as they birdied the first hole while he made a bogey. Rahm bounced back with a birdie on the second hole, but Johnson matched him and McIlroy made an eagle to tie for the lead at 15-under.
- The trio continued to exchange blows throughout the front nine, with Johnson making another birdie on the fourth hole, Rahm responding with a birdie on the fifth hole, and McIlroy joining them with a birdie on the sixth hole. They all reached the turn at 16-under, four shots clear of the rest of the field.
- The back nine proved to be more challenging, as the wind picked up and the greens became firmer. Rahm was the first to falter, as he bogeyed the 10th and 12th holes to drop to 14-under. Johnson and McIlroy also struggled to find birdies, as they both parred the first six holes on the back nine.
- The decisive moment came on the par-5 17th hole, where Johnson hit a superb second shot to set up an eagle putt from 15 feet. McIlroy also reached the green in two, but his putt was from 40 feet. Rahm had to lay up after a wayward tee shot, and his third shot left him a birdie putt from 12 feet. Johnson calmly rolled in his eagle putt to take a two-shot lead at 18-under, while McIlroy missed his eagle attempt and settled for a birdie to move to 17-under. Rahm also made his birdie putt to stay at 15-under.
- The final hole was a par-4 that measured 475 yards and played into the wind. Johnson hit a solid drive down the middle of the fairway, while McIlroy pushed his drive to the right rough. Rahm hit a good drive as well, but it bounced into a bunker on the left side of the fairway. Johnson hit his approach shot to 20 feet from the pin, while McIlroy hit a brilliant shot from a tough lie to 10 feet. Rahm hit his sand shot to 25 feet, but missed his par putt and dropped to 14-under.
- Johnson had two putts to win the tournament, and he used them wisely. He lagged his first putt to tap-in range, and then holed his second putt for a par and a final round of 68. He finished at 18-under, one shot ahead of McIlroy, who also made his par putt for a final round of 69. Rahm ended up in third place at 14-under after a final round of 72.
Johnson claimed his second DIO Implant LA Open title and his 28th PGA Tour victory. He also moved to the top of the FedEx Cup standings and the world rankings.
He thanked his sponsors, his caddie, his family and his fans for their support. He also praised his fellow competitors for their great play and sportsmanship.
McIlroy congratulated Johnson on his win and said he was happy with his performance. He said he gave it his best shot and had no regrets. He also thanked his sponsors, his team, his family and his fans for their encouragement. He said he was looking forward to playing in more events this season.
Rahm also congratulated Johnson and McIlroy and said he was proud of how he played this week. He said he made some mistakes on Sunday that cost him some shots, but he learned from them and hoped to improve in the future.
He also thanked his sponsors, his coach, his family and his fans for their backing. He said he was excited about the rest of the year and hoped to win more tournaments.
The DIO Implant LA Open was a memorable event that showcased some of the best golf in the world. The fans were treated to some spectacular shots, dramatic moments and thrilling finishes.
The tournament also raised money for various charities that support dental health and education in Los Angeles. The DIO Implant LA Open was a success on all fronts and will be remembered as one
Final Thoughts: Johnson Claims Second DIO Implant LA Open Title
The 2023 DIO Implant LA Open final round was a nail-biting affair that saw three of the world’s top golfers battling it out for the title.
Jon Rahm, Dustin Johnson, and Rory McIlroy were all in the mix, and it was Johnson who came out on top with a final round of 68 to finish at 18-under and claim his second DIO Implant LA Open title.
Johnson’s victory was well-deserved, as he showed incredible poise and composure under pressure, especially on the back nine, where he made the decisive eagle on the 17th hole.
McIlroy also played well and finished just one shot behind Johnson with a final round of 69, while Rahm struggled on the back nine and finished in third place at 14-under.
Overall, the tournament was a great success, with some fantastic golf on display and money raised for charities supporting dental health and education in Los Angeles. The fans were treated to some spectacular shots and thrilling finishes, and the event will be remembered as one of the best of the year.
As for Johnson, his victory puts him at the top of the FedEx Cup standings and the world rankings, and he looks to be in excellent form heading into the rest of the season.
He thanked his sponsors, his caddie, his family, and his fans for their support, and he was gracious in victory, praising his fellow competitors for their great play and sportsmanship.
In conclusion, the 2023 DIO Implant LA Open was an unforgettable tournament that showcased some of the best golf in the world. Johnson’s victory was the icing on the cake, and he will surely be a favorite in upcoming events.